I start a company Ziggurat attractive imports in 2009 to sell Amusement Park products and services in Iran. first Project was an artificial ice skating product call Xtraice. I always want to be sure of what I sell to people so I start the first Ice skating track myself.
I spend more than 40,000 Euro during 2009-2010 and it was a big failure for me since I sell it less than 20K a year later. There were many reason that failed the project:
- Rules and culture: It was the first experience after Islamic revolution. I hoped that people will find it new and interesting but the boom never happened. Marketing error.
- You should run your start up yourself at early days. I was mostly in Netherlands in that period and it is not a good idea to expect your employees to work in your benefits when you are not there.
- The Xtraice technology was not what I expected. most of their advice was useless. Cleaning and maintenance in an open track in a polluted air like Tehran is mission impossible.
- The local police made many problems like asking for separation of girls and boys.
- The local police also asked to remove the Cover and shading.
At the end it was a big lesson for me on startups. Technology is not always cool. People sometimes like the old fashion.